For Products In Warranty
Many problems can be resolved without the need to contact Etymotic Research or return products for evaluation. The most common problems are listed below. If your issue is still unresolved, click here for a Service Return Form
One side is weak or not working
- One side stopped working
- Sound is low or too soft
- No sound at all on one side
- A filter can be blocked without appearing dirty.
- Reduced sound output could be device-related (e.g., plug not in securely).
- Etymotic earphones and headsets are equipped with special filters that shape frequency response and prevent ear wax from entering the earphones. The need to change filters varies widely among users.
- A dirty filter can reduce or block the earphone output.
- Your product was shipped with extra filters and a special changing tool.
- If one earphone is weak (sound is louder in the other earphone), remove the filter and listen to the earphone. If sound returns, replace the filter according to the instructions below.
NOTE: Filters are not reusable. Click here for Filter Changing Instructions
Replacement parts can be ordered online: Click here to view Accessories
Sound cuts in and out
- Intermittency could be device-related (e.g., plug not in securely).
- Intermittency at the earphone can result from tugging on the cord when removing the earphones.
- Intermittency at the plug can result from winding the cord too tightly around your phone or music player causing stress on the connection between the plug and the cable.
- A problem that persists during the warranty period usually requires a return for service or replacement. Click here for Service Return Form.
No bass response
- Eartip fit is the most common reason earphones seem to lack bass. Full bass is heard when eartips are inserted deeply in the ear canals.
- If you do not have a good seal in the ear canal, try other eartips included with your earphones, or consider the Custom-Fit option. Click here for details.
- Carefully insert the earphone while pulling up and out on the back of the ear.
- Twist the earphone up into the ear canal while inserting, until outside noise is blocked out.
Distortion or crackling
- This issue usually requires users to return earphones and headsets to Etymotic's service facility.